What is EFT?
EFT Emotional freedom technique, often referred to as the ‘Tapping technique’ started off as thought field therapy, TFT over 30 years ago by Dr. Roger Callahan. Gary Craig then evolved the therapy in what we now call EFT.
Since then EFT has been recognised as an energy technique that is simple, quick and easy to learn and, and can be used as a helping tool by people of all ages children and adults alike with or without professional training.
- EFT is a tool to remove blockages in the energy system that are causing problems / issues
- EFT is not psychology
- EFT is not physiology
- EFT is an energy tool
All humans and animals have an energy body and for this energy body to function at its best, energy must flow freely. Sometimes the energy can get blocked through trauma or stress etc causing such issues as fears, phobias, headaches, loss of confidence and pain. These could be thought of as emotional issues.
EFT is given by light tapping on a sequence of meridian points on the hands, head, body and face. Focusing on the issue needing help and repeating the sequence until the person feels a change in the intensity of the issue and then no intensity at all.
Each round of tapping takes approximately 3 minutes starting with placing hands over the heart area and take a few deep breaths and say set up phrase
- The set up phrase ie: ‘I am scared of spiders’
- Reminder phrase ie: spiders
- The tapping round
- At the end of each round place hands over the heart area and take a few deep breaths
A scale, the sue scale –subjective units of experience (Hartman 2009) is used to monitor the intensity starting from – 10 up to + 10 This gives the client and the therapist an idea on where they are starting from and where they want to aim for.
EFT Ten Top Tips
- If you are not sure of the right words tap on ‘ I am stressed’
- You don’t have to tap the points exactly, as long as you are in the right area
- You can tap with either hand and on either side of face
- Tap rhythmically and firmly
- Tap with thought and energy
- Keep your body relaxed
- Move around if it feels right
- Find a relaxed quiet place to tap
- Breath deeply and concentrate on the issue
- Don’t stop too soon
If you are ready to book an EFT session, please email me or call 07710 227109. Look forward to hearing from you.