Teeth, health, heart disease and stroke
Are you looking after your teeth and gums properly?
Periodontal disease is caused by bad mouth hygiene, not brushing your teeth and not flossing. This can cause bacteria to build up in the mouth and, in some cases, can affect your overall health.
Scientific studies have shown that people with periodontal disease may be more likely to have coronary artery disease. This could be due to the bacteria and toxins travelling into the bloodstream and forming fatty plaque in the arteries, or the bacteria causes the liver to produce higher levels of protein that could lead to a stroke or heart attack.
If you have any of these symptoms you should consult your dentist straight away:
- loose teeth
- tender gums
- bleeding gums
- bad breath
- swollen gums
10 tips on how to look after your teeth
1. Brush your teeth twice daily, preferably with an oscillating, electric toothbrush
2. It takes around 2 minutes to give a good clean
3. Floss teeth 1-2 times a day
4. Avoid sweet sugary foods and drinks – especially children
5. Avoid acidic drinks
6. Use a fluoride toothpaste
7. Visit your dentist regularly
8. Use a toothpaste that includes ingredients that coat your teeth to stop plaque forming
9. You only have two sets of teeth, look after them!
10. Keep a bright happy smile
If you are not sure which toothpaste is right for you then let me share my story.
I started using AP24 whitening toothpaste recommended by a friend last year as my teeth were a bit discoloured. I drink black coffee and red wine so my teeth were slightly stained by both. Almost immediately my teeth looked whiter and, as an added bonus, they felt cleaner for longer during the day.
I’ve always hated going to the dentist as my teeth were very sensitive, especially to cold food and drinks, as well as when having my regular check up at the dentist. However, this didn’t stop me having regular check-ups – I just had to grin and bear it.
On a visit last year, after using the AP24 whitening fluoride toothpaste for around 6 months, my dental nurse said, “Mrs Adams, are you OK?”
“Yes,” I replied. “Why?”
“Well, normally you’re very jumpy and obviously in discomfort.”
I had to take a moment and realised that she was right. My teeth were not sensitive and I was very relaxed. Then it dawned on me that the only thing I had changed was my toothpaste! They were quite surprised and the dentist also noticed there was less build of of plaque on my teeth, and that they did look better.
We were all impressed and, of course, I am still using this amazing toothpaste.
Since then I have talked to many friends and family members who have all been converted, mainly for the teeth whitening results, but also because it:
- CONTAINS NO BLEACHES OR PEROXIDES
- CONTAINS NO SUGAR
- IS GLUTEN FREE
- DOES NOT DAMAGE ENAMEL (thanks to its non-abrasive formula)
Also it is:
- Gentle on sensitive teeth
- Safe for children
- Is made with natural ingredients
- Helps to remove stains – coffee, red wine, cigarettes
- Has a pleasant mint and vanilla flavour
This is possibly why 5 million tubes of this toothpaste are sold every month worldwide.
If you would like to find out more please get in touch.