At last summer is on the way and what better time to get into your waxing routine.
Are you wanting to feel more feminine or just less conscious about intimate areas when wearing swimwear? If you have a lot of body hair, or are managing new hair growth with new hormones if you are transgender or non-binary, then waxing could be the answer.
For women, legs, bikini line, eyebrows, facial hair and under arm are the most popular areas to wax. For men, back, chest, ears and nasal hair are at the top of the list. Increasingly, for everyone, bikini line or Brazilian waxes are becoming the norm, including men, although you probably won’t hear them talking about it with their mates!
However, waxing isn’t for everyone and many people still use shaving as their preferred method. It is possibly because they are worried about the pain, or are embarrassed about getting undressed. If this is the case, please bear in mind that your therapist sees all shapes and sizes of body parts every day and is experienced at helping people nervous about it feel relaxed and calm. Towels are used to cover places that aren’t being waxed for modesty. If not seeing the same therapist every time you have a wax is an issue, you might feel more comfortable going to a home salon rather than a busy high street shop.
If you are fed up with shaving daily, razor snags and would like a smooth and sleek finish that lasts for weeks rather than days, give waxing a go.
Here are my tips to help you prepare your skin before and after waxing.
- Find a good therapist. This is so important as using the right wax makes a massive difference to the results.
- Ask friends or family for a recommendation, look at the reviews for the salon/therapist, then call and have a chat to make sure the person makes you feel comfortable. Ask lots of questions and ask if you can take a look around the salon first. Be wary of anyone who says no.
- Waxing is a regular commitment so cost does have to be a consideration, however the cheapest person may not be the best, and may cost more in the long run. With regular waxing, over time your hair growth will become less as the hair follicles become weaker, which means each time is less uncomfortable and visits can be more spread out.
- The hair needs to be at least a 1/4 inch / 1/2 centimetre long, otherwise the results will not be good, especially for the first wax.
- Exfoliating with a body scrub glove or loofah and moisturising for 2-3 days before waxing will prepare the skin, ridding it of all the dry dead skin cells that may cause a less even waxing.
- You may need to book your appointment a week in advance, although if it is a spur of the moment thought you may get lucky. Give yourself plenty of time to arrive so as not to get stressed. Wear loose clothing and do not use any creams or oils on the areas that need to be waxed as this might stop the wax from gripping the hairs.
- After waxing, your therapist will use a special after wax lotion or oil. If you don’t have any un-perfumed lotions, it would be a good idea to buy one as it has soothing ingredients and keeps the skin soft and smooth.
- In-growing hairs can be an issue. If this occurs, keep the area moisturised until the hair grows through or contact your therapist for advice. After 48 hours, when your skin has calmed down, exfoliate daily to help stop this from happening.
- There are hair growth inhibitor creams that can help to slow down regrowth which could make a huge difference to the growth and abundance of hairs. These have to be used for around 7 days after waxing. (Make sure you read the instructions carefully.)
- After your treatment you should be given the after care advice, including no sun beds or sunbathing for 48 hours after your treatment.
- Now you have given waxing a try, book your next appointment for 4-6 weeks time and enjoy your soft smooth skin.
If you would like to try waxing with me, enjoy a 10% discount by quoting the code ‘summer’ when you book (one appointment only).
I have over 20 years experience with waxing and more than four years working with male and transgender clients using a top-named wax that is kind and gentle to the skin and gets with excellent results.
Please do get in touch